The New Legal Writers Survey (NLWS) is an anonymous, online survey of legal employers. The purpose of the survey is to gather data about three main areas of inquiry:
- Writing Samples Preferred by Employers: Survey questions inquired about writing sample preferences tied to employer size and type (e.g., public or private sector) and stage of a law student’s career (e.g., 1L or recent graduate).
- Document Types that New Legal Writers Write: Survey questions inquired about the types of documents (or “genres”) that new legal writers are expected to write at different phrases of their early careers. Questions also inquired about the methods that legal employers expect new legal writers to employ when approaching unfamiliar document genres.
- Supervision of New Legal Writers: Survey questions inquired about the methods used by legal employers when supervising new legal writers, the challenges faced by legal employers when supervising new legal writers, and the good and bad moves that new legal writers tend to make on the job.
The first round of data-collection closed in November of 2013. However:
- The survey is NOW OPEN for ongoing data-collection.
- You can read the results of the first round of data collection via this website.